Spotyourshop: When we are talking about hearing loss and its cause, monitor and preventions then our first curiosity is that how this disease cause and what its cure. To diagnosis hear loss causes and its type, there are many techniques discovered and they are in action. Among various techniques of test one of the most widely used tests is Tympanometry. This test is used to monitor the type and cause of hearing loss. It helps doctor to diagnosis that disease can be cure by hearing aids or any other treatment is available for this.
In this section we are trying our best to describe Tympanometry its cause, tympanograms, and ear pressure test.
Before getting into the depth of this topic we have to take a little glimpse on its history. Tympanometry was firstly discovered by Terkildsen et al in 1950’s for monitoring middle ear pressure. Now it become vital needs over clinical test and become the most frequently used routine for audio logical test. It has too much advantages. one of them, it is best for testing adult ears because effect of mass and friction will be minute.
Definition of tympanometry
Tympanometry is a test which is used for diagnosis and monitors the condition of middle ear. It determines the disorders which can lead as hearing loss in children. The test measures the movement of your tympanic membrane with respect to changes in pressure. This test is also used to detect the conduction bones by making air pressure changes in the ear canal. This becomes easier for doctors to monitor the problems in the middle of the ear. It is very necessary for child that his tympanometry test should be performed every week of several months. This gives idea about fluid changes over time.
Awareness about tympanometry
Tympanometry gives idea about hearing loss that whether disease is cure by hearing aids or not. If not then other treatment is possible for getting relief. This test mainly consists of one air pump, a probe with a loudspeaker, a microphone, and a manometer. This test is quite simple and no need to worry.
Tympanometry is more common in children. Diagnosis the child disease and performing this test is little bit tough task. There are other tools are also used along with Tympanometry tools for testing child.
Outcome of tests determined by doctor if you have :
- Fluid in middle ear
- Middle ear infection
- Tears(perforation) in Tympanic membrane
It has been seem that Tympanometry is always performed with some other tests such as audiometry and otoscopy. Perhaps tympanometry is done after Otoscopy test. It has surety that combination of these two tests gives exact results of various abnormality.
How is tympanometry worked?
There are following steps of working of tympanometry. We are trying to make it simple for easy under stable.
- First of all before doing test doctor simple examine with special instrument known as Otoscope. This Instrument is used for detecting ear waxing and other foreign object presenting in ear canal. After having surety that no wax and object is present next level of test is performed.
- At next level, a probe type device is placed in ear canal . It feel quite uncomfortable while measurement start. It feels same as plane take off and plane landing. This test changes the air pressure in ear canal. this provide back and forth movement of eardrum. This movement is helpful in taking measurement in tympanogram.
- Now this test will hardly take two minutes for both ears. Tympanometry can be performed on every age of people but little difficult for children. They are unable to cooperate.
- during test movement of body, speaking and swallowing is prohibited. It can lead wrong reading.
Normal tympanometry test results mean:
After performing the test, it is a time of test result. How can you recognize that either test is normal or abnormal? Here we provide an idea about normal test results
- No fluid in the middle ear.
- The eardrum moves normally.
- Normal pressure in the middle ear.
- Normal movement of the ossicles
Abnormal tympanometry test results mean: If the result is abnormal then the following issues are detected.
- Fluid in the middle ear
- Tear (perforation) of the eardrum
- Infection of the eardrum
- Middle ear pressure beyond the normal range
- Growths in the middle ear
- Earwax blocking the eardrum
- Lack of mobility with the ossicles of the middle ear
- Maybe Ear tumor.
Tympanogram and its taxonomy:
Tympanogram gives a diagnosis of middle ear defect, ear canal, middle ear pressure volume. This test also gives an idea about the functioning of an eardrum, the auditory pathways, and contraction from middle ear muscles.
Tympanogram is classified into six parts. these are the following: This is a fun app that children enjoy and respond to. It’s a real boon to any adult who This is a fun app that children enjoy and respond to. It’s a real boon to any adult who needs to control the levels of noise of a group of children needs to control the levels of noise of a group of children.
- Normal middle ear functioning
- No fluid
- Peak is between +/-100da pa
- compliance from 0.3-1.5 ml.
- High compliment middle ear
- Compliance more than 1.5 ml
- Peak is between +/-100 da pa
- Less compliment middle ear
- Compliance less than 0.3ml
- Peak is between +/-100 dapa
- Suggests Eustachian tube dysfunction
- compliance from 0.3ml to 1.05
- Peak is -100 dapa
- Suggest middle ear involvement from a fluid
- There is no identifiable peak
- Ear canal volume is normal.
- Suggest middle ear involvement from a perforation
- There is no identifiable peak
- Ear canal volume is equivalent.
Tympanometry is not useful for everyone. There are some prevention which should be aware of before going fortes
- The ear should be moisture free.
- No perforated eardrum
- If he/she has recent ear surgery,
- In case his eardrum is red bulging and causing extreme pain,
- Presence of some foreign object in the canal
- Not any kind of ear discharge
It is an objective test for the function of the middle ear. It is not only a hearing test but also gives an idea about energy transmission through the middle ear. It gives an idea of any hearing problems. along with this test various test is also performed to detect exact diseases. If your test results are persistently abnormal, or your doctor suspects that something other than fluid is behind the tympanic membrane, they may send you for additional testing and a follow-up appointment with a specialist. this not a matter of serious various technologies is in trend for curing hearing problems. It is medically treatable. This kind of defect is mostly found in a child but there is no risk is seem regarding this test.